How do I insulate solid walls?

Tŷ-Mawr ‌‌ posted this on 11 May 2016

There are essentially two methods of insulating solid walls:

  1. Externally
  2. Internally

External Solid Wall Insulation (EWI)

This is installed from the outside, effectively wrapping a layer around the building. This type of insulation method may well change the physical appearance of the building (which may well require planning permission) and will necessitate the removal of rainwater goods and may require adaption of the roof and wall junctions as well as window and door openings as the wall is effectively being made thicker.

It is important to understand that there is not a standard off-the-shelf solution for all buildings and products should be specified on a building-by-building basis.

Internal Wall Insulation (IWI)

This is applied from the inside and necessitates the removal of all fittings e.g. radiators, skirting boards, architraves etc. Protection from driving rain may be required externally.


Categories: FAQs