The Charterhouse, Coventry
The restoration of one of Coventry’s oldest buildings began in the spring following a cash boost, and Ty-Mawr Lime Ltd are delighted to be supplying materials for this significant project.
Contractors: Splitlath Building Conservation Ltd
Materials Supplied: Natural Hydraulic Lime (Singelton Birch)
The medieval Charterhouse - a Grade 1 listed building - was awarded a grant of £30,000 by The Pilgrim Trust which meant that work to revitalise the former Carthusian Priory of St Anne was able to proceed.
The first phase involves the restoration of some 60 metres of the monastic wall including the remaining wall of the original Priory church which dates back to its foundation by Richard II in 1385. Natural Hydraulic Lime is being supplied by Ty-Mawr to contractors, Splitlath Building Conservation Ltd, who are undertaking the restoration work.
The wall, which is an Ancient Monument, has been in a dangerous condition for several years with parts having already collapsed. The support from the charitable trust in London combines with £131,000 worth of funding from English Heritage.
The Charterhouse Coventry Preservation Trust Chairman Ian Harrabin said: “The start of work on restoration will be a huge step forward, providing a boost to the volunteers involved in the plans for Charterhouse and the Heritage Park.
“The kind support of The Pilgrim Trust and English Heritage have meant we can start with some physical work on site at an early stage while we are working on the plans and funding for the major project. This provides more scope for involving volunteers but more importantly a boost to confidence that we can deliver the grand plan.”
That involves the creation of a 70-acre heritage park on both sides of the London Road site.
The Charterhouse is of national importance because it is one of the only two Carthusian Monasteries with significant remains in the UK. The site’s murals and paintings are some of Britain’s finest examples of medieval art.